Friday, August 21, 2009

Heavenly Promises are Always Kept!

I love the scriptures! Every time I read in them I get something form them. Today I read the words of King Benjamin. Mosiah 2:22
"And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you."

This goes along with something that I read in the Ensign today. I think that I have been railing a little bit against the Lord. As my childlessness continues I wonder at the feelings and promptings that I feel that I have had concerning the friends from heaven who I am waiting for. It all feels so futile. I get the message that the Lord is all powerful and still nothing happens and I am not removed from the childless prison that I feel trapped in. How can I keep hoping and feeling and still have nothing. I feel like I am tormented and driven crazy with wanting to have this promise kept. Elder Holland writes about the Prophet Joseph and the lessons that he learned in Liberty Jail. He quotes D&C 123:17 "Therefore...let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then we may stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed." Joseph had this revealed to him during his trials and in the deplorable conditions of and actual prison. I think that I can suffer more patiently while I am still enjoying the comforts of home and family relationships. Here is the clincher to me Elder Holland says this: "I testify that bad days come to an end, that faith always triumphs, and that heavenly promises are always kept." From my patriarchal blessing it says " ...the children that come to you in this life, as your born children will be tractable and love you..." I believe what Elder Holland says is true "heavenly promises are always kept." I just need to continue to keep the commandments and I will be blessed, the Lord never varies from what he has said, whether by his own voice or the voice of his servants it is the same. I will continue to work cheerfully until I am released from this bondage and am allowed the joy of raising up children unto the Lord. Was this article in this issue of the Ensign there by accident? I think not, how grateful I am for these timely messages from the Lord. I know that He loves me, He hears me and He answers my prayers.

1 comment:

Ramona Zabriskie said...

Oh Dani! I needed to read that today. Thank you so much for sharing your insights. We ALL have GREAT need to trust in the Lord - the God who never varies and always keeps his promises. I love you.